Tyrone Power's father was Frederick Tyrone Power, born May 2, 1869, in London, England. The son of Harold Power, an accomplished concert pianist, Frederick Tyrone was also raised and educated in England. When he became an actor, he took the stage name, Tyrone Power II.

In 1898, he married Edith Crane, a noted stage actress. They were married for fourteen years, until her death in 1912. When she died, he was grief-stricken and lost interest in his stage career for several months.

He married Helen Emma Reaume (stage name after marriage was Patia Power), who had been a friend of his first wife. On May 5, 1914, she presented him with a baby boy, Tyrone Edmund Power. Just over a year later, their daughter, Anne was born. Power Sr. was busy with his career and spent months away from his family, appearing in different stage productions across the country. The marriage became strained, and, in the fall of 1920, the Powers were divorced.

Tyrone Power Sr. and Jr.

On February 17, 1921, just a few months after the Powers divorced, Tyrone Power, Sr. married for the third time, at his home in Union Hill, N.J.. The 51-year-old groom's bride, Bertha Knight, was 34.

Power was a highly respected Shakespearean actor, though he also played other types of stage roles. He made his first Broadway appearance in 1899 in Becky Sharp at a theater known as Fifth Avenue Theatre (demolished in 1939). Throughout his long career, Tyrone Power, Sr. appeared in twenty-five Broadway productions, with his most famous role as Marcus Brutus in Julius Cesar. His last Broadway role was in The Merchant of Venice, at the Royale Theater, shortly before his death in 1931. In addition to a fine stage career, he also had a successful career in silent films. He broke into films in 1914, in the silent film, Aristocracy. He played leading roles and, later, character roles. Power appeared in forty films, only one of which, The Big Trail, was a sound film. The Big Trail starred John Wayne. In December 1931, Tyrone Power suffered a fatal heart attack while in Hollywood to film The Miracle Man. Historians have given him the name Tyrone Power, Sr. to distinguish him from his even more famous son, film star Tyrone Power III.

During the last six months of his life, Tyrone Power, Sr. and his son got to know one another, trying to make up for lost time. After his graduation from Purcell High School in 1931, Ty joined his dad in Quebec, for a summer of coaching in Shakespearean acting. They crammed a lot into those six months. In September, Power Sr. and his son went to Chicago. There, Tyrone Power, Sr. asked his good friend, Fritz Lieber, to give Ty a job in his Shakespearean company. Ty, Jr. was assigned to a very small role in The Merchant of Venice, in which Power Sr. played Duke of Venice, at Chicago's Civic Auditorium. By November Mr. Power was playing in in The Merchant of Venice, for six performances on Broadway, at the Royale Theater. It was then to Hollywood, where the senior Power began work on the movie The Miracle Man. Tyrone Power, Sr. never finished the movie. About six weeks into the film's production, he became seriously ill. On December 30, 1931, he was at his rooms at the Hollywood Athletic Club, when he suffered a massive heart attack, collapsed, and died in Ty's arms. On January 2, 1932, funeral services were held for Tyrone Power, Sr. His ashes were to be buried at Isle Aux Noix, Quebec, his former home.

Tyron, Jr. was very proud of his father's accomplishments and ability as an actor. He took with him months of advice and encouragement about the pursuit of acting career from his father. When Tyrone got his hands and feet in cement at Grauman's theater, he wrote: "To Sid - Following in my father's footsteps."


Tyrone's mother was the beautiful and talented stage actress, Helen Emma Reaume Power, who held the stage name of Patia Power. She was born in Indiana on March 1, 1882, to Charles W. Reaume and Adelaide Schuster Reaume. She spent a good deal of her growing up years in Kentucky.

According to an article written the Fort Wayne Journal Gazette, October 10, 1920, she had been friends with Tyrone Power, Sr.'s first wife, Edith Crane. A year or so after Edith's death, she married Frederick Tyrone Power. After the Powers were married, they began making stage appearances together. In 1917, they appeared together in the silent film, The Planter.

Patia & Tyrone Power Sr. inm the 1916 film Where "Are My Children?"

The first couple years of their marriage, the Powers lived in Cincinnati, and Frederick Tyrone would find himself often in New York to work on stage. After their second child, Anne, was born, they moved to San Diego. Mrs. Power worked in regional theater in the area, while her husband would make movies and go to New York to do Broadway shows. As the years passed, trouble came to the marriage, and the Powers were divorced around 1920, when Tyrone was about six.

Mrs. Power continued to work in regional theater. The most important part of Mrs. Power's life, however, was not her career. Taking care of her children was most important. Soon after she obtained a divorce, Mrs. Power talked about raising her children. She said, "I am bringing my children up with the belief that the principle back of everything is love. Even behind the mask of unpleasantness there is always the great guiding force of love by the attitude of thought."

In 1923, Patia Power returned to Cincinnati with her children, where she became a drama and voice coach at the Schuster-Martin School of Drama. Frederick Tyrone Power, very busy with his career, came back for short visits from time to time, but Patia Reaume was left to raise the children on her own.

Patia Power had the difficult task of raising her two children on her own and supporting the family with a small income. She taught her son much that would later serve him in his career. A dramatic coach, she taught him how to control his voice and to enunciate every word. His voice would later be one of his finest attributes as an actor, both on stage, in films, and on the radio.

Patia with her son Tyrone Jr. and his dog

After Tyrone's dad died in Hollywood in 1931, Ty wanted to stay there to try to break into the movie business. Mrs. Power and his sister, Anne, moved to a home in Santa Barbara, in case he needed her. As it turned out he was back and forth between Chicago, New York, and Hollywood. At last, he landed his contract with 20th Century-Fox, and, for a time, she lived with him. When he married, however, she moved into her own apartment. Ty and his mother had a wonderful relationship. He seemed to be as proud of his mom as she was of him. She would often go to his premieres during the years when she was in good health. She was there for his triumphant opening in London of Mr. Roberts in 1950. Patia Power had a stroke a couple years before Tyrone had the fatal heart attack in November 1958. She died on September 29, 1959 in Canterbury, N.H., at the home of her daughter, never knowing that her son had preceded her in death, as her family had felt that the shock would be too great for her.


Ty's sister, Anne Lavenue Power, was born August 26, 1915, in Los Angeles county, soon after the Power family moved back to California from Ohio. Tyrone and Anne, only about fourteen months apart, were extremely close as children and maintained that closeness as adults.

Anne Power loved the arts from an early age, with an interest in both music and painting. She was a gifted pianist. When her brother took the role of pianist Eddy Duchin for 1956's The Eddy Duchin Story, she helped coach him on the piano.

She loved painting so much that she made it her life's work, both as an artist and as a teacher. Her niece, Romina has said, "My Aunt Anne tried for years to give a good foundation to my impulsive painting. Having had classical training, she detested my "non-method", and tried to indoctrinate me on the right way and the wrong way of doing things. She would give me serious lectures about shading, perspective and composition. I have great admiration for my Aunt Anne's techniques, but I never followed her instructions. And she always knew that. But she loved me anyway." Though most of her paintings were done in oil, she sometimes used watercolors. Her work also extended to sketches, in both pen and ink. She created a wide range of art works, including portraits, still life, landscapes, and even some abstracts. In the years 1940-1942, while a resident of Mill Valley, she had a studio in an old barn. Throughout her life, she painted and taught others to do so.

When Tyrone Power became an overnight star, Anne was very proud of him. Now and then she would be seen on the town with him, possibly at a club or at a Hollywood event, such as a premiere.

During the World War II years, Anne Power Hardenbergh lived at Tyrone Power's home, while he was serving in the United States Marine Corps. Her husband, Elmer Peter Hardenbergh, about 15 years older than she, was also away, serving in the U.S. Army. The Powers and Hardenberghs decided that it would be well for Anne to stay at the Power home in Brentwood, while the men were away at war and while she was awaiting the birth of a child. The Hardenberghs' daughter, Neeltje Adelaide Hardenbergh (nicknamed "Pixie") arrived on May 26, 1943. When Ty arrived back home, after the war, his sister and little niece were among those at his home to greet him.

Anne Power's husband served not only in World War II but also in the Korean War. He was a Brigadier General when he retired from military service in 1960. Even though the Hardenberghs divorced in April 1958, she continued to use the name Hardenbergh as her professional name, signing her paintings "Anne Power Hardenbergh". General Hardenbergh died on June 8, 1974, at Walter Reed Army Hospital, and was buried on June 11th, 1974, at Arlington National Cemetery, with full military honors. Anne lived and painted in many New England states and along the northeastern coast. During the last years of her life, she settled in Florida, where she continued to paint. She died Jan. 27, 1999, in Venice, Sarasota County, Florida. Her daughter, Neeltje Hardenbergh Dunham, followed her in death, on Nov 5, 2005, in Raymond, Cumberland County, Maine.


In April of 1939, Tyrone Power married Annabella (born Suzanne Georgette Charpentier) , a divorcee who was several years older than he. She had a daughter, Annie, who was about nine or ten and living in Europe when the Powers were married. In September 1939, Annabella went to Europe to bring back her daughter. Ty adopted Annie, giving her his name.

A loving and giving father to Annie, Tyrone very much wanted more children, and Annabella was keenly aware of Ty's desire for children. She wanted very badly to give him a child, but despite her visits to specialists, she was unable to have another baby. In October 1946 Annie's parents separated, and a divorce became final in January 1949.

Annie Power with her father, Tyrone


When Tyrone Power married Linda Christian in January 1949, they said that they wanted to have children right away. Later that year, while Ty was filming The Black Rose, the happy couple got the news that Linda was expecting, with a due date of January 1950. On September 20, 1949, the announcement came that Linda had lost the baby boy that she was carrying. In January 1950, the couple announced that she was again expecting a baby, due in October. On May 6, while in Manila with Ty for the filming of An Guerilla in the American Philippines, Linda miscarried again. There would be three miscarriages - two boys and a girl - before finally giving birth to a healthy six-pound, eleven-ounce baby girl, Romina Francesca, on October 2, 1951. After so many disappointments, the Powers were ecstatic when they finally had their first child.

After her parents divorced in the mid-1950's, Romina's time was split between her two parents. She would spend weeks at a time with her Dad, going with him to the set while he worked. After her dad's death, she saw very little of her mother. She was in boarding schools most of the time, seeing her mother only on holidays. By the early 1960's, she was living in Italy, where her mother had moved.

Romina grew up to be a beautiful and talented woman. She began an acting career in Italy, making her film debut at the age of thirteen in Menage all'italiana , released in 1965. A few films followed, and in 1967, she starred in Nel sole, which had her mother in it, as well as Albano Carrisi (stage name Al Bano). Al Bano was already quickly establishing himself as a pop star when they met, and she was establishing a pop career also, recording several solo albums. In the next few years, the two would star in seven movies together. More importantly, they married on July 26, 1970, at the Church of St. Catherine, near Brindisi, Italy. They formed the singing team of Al Bano and Romina Power, which became an immensely popular singing team in Italy and Germany. Romina had a successful singing career for about thirty years, earning numerous gold and platinum albums.

Album cover of Romina and Al Bano

Romina Power is also a talented artist, like both her mother and her Aunt Anne (Tyrone Power's sister). She began painting as a schoolgirl of fourteen. She says that she had been around painters for much of her life. She greatly admired her Aunt Anne, who was a classically trained painter who "would give me serious lectures about shading, perspective and composition." Romina has exhibited her paintings in Venice, Rome, and Florence.

She has published five books in Italian, including 1998's "Cercando Mio Padre" about her father. She spent many years researching the book, interviewing many people who had known him.

Romina has always loved cinema. She commented that "When I was little I would stay glued to the TV watching old movies in black and white. Maybe the excessive love that I feel for the cinema comes from the fact that in order to see my father I would have to go to the set where he was working, so for me, the set was a beautiful, magical place." In 2005 she wrote and directed her first film, Upaya, filmed in India.

In the mid 1980's a miracle came into Romina's life when she finally met her younger brother, Tyrone Power IV. They later recorded together the song "A Miracle" for her album, Fragile .

Al Bano and Romina's marriage, which ended in 1999, produced four children. They have a son, Yari (born 1973), and three daughters Ylenia (born in 1970 and who disappeared mysteriously in New Orleans in 1994), Cristel (born 1985) and Romina Jr. (born 1987).


On September 13, 1953, Linda made Tyrone very happy when she gave birth to another girl, Taryn Stephanie Power. Linda came up the name "Taryn" to honor her father. Her father adored Taryn and her older sister, Romina.

His daughters never got the chance to know him very well. At the time of his death, Romina was only seven , and her sister, Taryn, was just five. Their parents had divorced in 1955, and they lived with their mother. Tyrone would see them as much as possible, but with busy lives and living miles apart, there were too few years and too little time.

Just prior to his death, he sent the girls a note, saying, “I miss you both and I do so look forward to the time we can be together again … Be good girls and work well in school so that Mummy and Daddy can be proud of you … With kisses and hugs to you both, and all my love and a big hello from Debbie. Daddy.”

Like her sister, Taryn grew up to be a stunning woman. For a time, in the 1970's, she was interested in becoming an actress. She made her first film, María, with a Mexican production company in 1972. A few films followed, with Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger being the most known. She also made some television guest appearances during this time. She made a few sporadic appearances post-1970, but, for the most part, she dropped out of acting.

Taryn married and divorced three times. Her first husband was photographer Norman Seeff. They had one child, Tai, born around 1980. Her second marriage was to rock musician Tony Sales, son of well-known comedian Soupy Sales. The couple had two children. Son Tony Tyrone was born around 1984 and daughter Valentina around 1986. She met her third husband, William Greendeer, in 1992, at a summer Sun Dance festival. They were married just over a year later in a tribal ceremony. In 1994, the couple moved from Los Angeles to a farm on the Winnebago reserve in Wisconsin. In April 1996, baby girl, Stella, was born.

Taryn with her daughter Stella

As a young adult, Taryn wanted to get to know her father, who was known mainly to her as a screen legend. She made her wishes known to 20th Century-Fox, her father’s studio, and arrangements were made for private screenings of his films. She commented, “My memories of him are from the screen. I related to him mostly as a young good-looking man in films like Marie Antoinette. He did set a high standard for the men in my life.”

In 1990, when asked she sacrificed her own career for family, Taryn said, "It was my choice. Ever since I was a teenager, all I could think about was getting married and having children. It's a heavy responsibility, but I've learned to get involved in every aspect of my children's lives, and I want to be there for all the important moments."

In the late 1980's, Taryn and Romina finally met their half-brother, Tyrone, born after their father's death. About seeing Tyrone Jr. and her daughter together, Linda Christian commented, "It was an incredible and beautiful surprise to me when I came to visit Taryn and she had invited Tyrone. It was a touching and warm experience."

Taryn with her half-brother Tyrone and her mother, Linda Christian

Romina and Taryn, the Daughters of Tyrome Power


Tyrone loved his daughters very much, yet he longed for a son . His third wife, Debbie Minardos Power, knew when she married him how much having a son meant to him. Just a couple days before his death, he talked excitedly of his wife’s pregnancy. They were both sure that this child would be the boy that he’d wanted for so many years. He said that he loved his girls very much and wanted more girls, yet continued, “But there has to be a boy, too. At least one. There’s got to be another Tyrone. You know, I’m the seventh Tyrone Power, actor. There’s always been one in my family and it’s like a trust, an unbroken line for seven generations, that one boy will be named Tyrone and that he’ll act. You’d be amazed at how much of my life is wrapped up in that idea. I’m the seventh. And now, at last, there’s going to be an eighth.”

On January 22, 1959, just a couple months after Tyrone's death, Tyrone Power IV, the son that Tyrone had waited his entire adult life for, was born at Cedars of Lebanon Hospital in Los Angeles.

Ty and Debbie's son, Tyrone Power IV, is known as Tyrone Power, Jr., just as Ty was known after his famous father died, and before he became an even bigger name than his father.

Tyrone IV with his Mother,m Debbie

He became interested in acting in college when a friend suggested that they try out for a role in a Shakespearean play. Both he and his friend got good roles. The acting bug had hit! Ty, Jr. was a stage actor for seven years in repertory companies and off-Broadway before making the transition to movies. He landed his first movie role in 1985. The role was small but in an important movie, Cocoon. About the small role, he said, "I couldn't say no to working with Jessica Tandy, Maureen Stapleton, and Don Ameche, who'd all worked with my father. It was a wonderful experience." Three years later, he returned for the sequel to Cocoon. He's continued to make movies through the years.

In late 1987, Ty, Jr. met his sister, Romina, for the first time. Then just ten months later, he went on a musical tour of Italy with his sister Romina Power and her then-husband, Al Bano . They also recorded together the song "A Miracle" for her album, Fragile.

Tyrone IV with his half-sister, Romina

In 1994, Ty, Jr. met actress DeLane Matthews during their filming of a movie called The Healer. In October of that year, he proposed to her, giving her the ring that his own father had given his mother. They were married June 18, 1995 at his new Arizona ranch in an outdoor ceremony. It was a quiet ceremony, with only family and a few close friends attending. The Powers had a son, Tyrone Keenan Power. They divorced in 2003.

Tyrone IV holding Tyrone V

About not ever getting the chance to know his father, Ty, Jr. commented: "It was really weird for me as a kid, watching his movies and trying to figure out who he was. Here I had this father I never knew. One day he's a pilot, one day he's a cowboy, next day he's romancing yet another gorgeous girl. I'd look at him on screen and ask myself, 'Now how would he have been in the Dad role?'"

Tyrone Power IV is now married to Candian commedian Carla Colions.

Again, with half-sister Romina

Tyrone and wife Carla


Taryn, Carla, Tyrone IV & Romina

Taryn, Tyrone IV, attending Clergy & Romina


Annabella (married 1939–1948) Ty and Annabella remained friends, and he invited her to Madrid, Spain, where they visited a week or so before his death on the set of Solomon and Sheba on November 15, 1958. She commented about his death sayig, "It's an unbelievable tragedy for all of us who knew and loved him -- but most of all a tragedy for Ty. He was looking forward to what he wanted most in the world -- a son."

On September 18, 1996, Annabella died of a heart attack in Neuilly-sur-Seine, France. She was buried at Passe Cemetery, Paris.

Linda Christian (married 1949–1955)

After their divorce, Ty would see his children as often as he could. According to the divorce decree, he was allowed two months custody. If his schedule would permit, and he and Linda could come to agreement, he would have them more than the two months.

Linda continued to make a few movies, mostly in small supporting roles. Among them were 1959's The House of the Seven Hawks, 1963's The V.I.P.s and The Devil’s Hand, filmed in 1959 but released in 1962. In 1962, Linda married Edmund Purdom, but the marriage ended within a year.

Linda died from colon cancer on July 22, 2011.

Debbie Ann Minardos (married 1958–until his death)

What was suppose to be a happy time for Debbie and Ty turned to tragedy on November 15, 1958, when Ty suffered a massive heart attack while filming a dueling scene with George Sanders on the set of the movie. He died as he was being rushed to the hospital. Debbie was stunned and grief-stricken, as were his many friends and co-workers.

She gave birth to Ty's son, Tyrone Power IV, on January 22, 1959.

A few months later, on September 30, 1959, she surprised Hollywood by marrying Arthur Loew, Jr., but the marriage lasted just a short time.

Debbie died of complications from a stroke on April 3, 2006. The following brief obituary was submitted for publicatiom:

Deborah Power Loew, widow of Tyrone Power, died Monday, April 3, 2006 in Los Angeles, California. Mrs. Loew was the daughter of the late Freddie Hungerford of Tunica and stepdaughter of S.R. Hungerford, III of Lancaster, South Carolina. She is survived by two sons, Tyrone Power, IV of Los Angeles and Gerald Loew of Tucson, Arizona; a daughter, Cheryl (Howard) Harrison of St. Louis, Missouri; and two grandsons, Tyrone K. Power and Henry Beneke, IV.


Ylenia Carrisi seemed destined for a life in show business. She was, after all, the granddaughter of the late Tyrone Power and the daughter of Romina Power and Albano Carrisi , a popular Italian singing duo. As a teenager she briefly became Italy's Vanna While, turning the letters on La Ruota della Fortuna —Wheel of Fortune. But at 23, tje 5'9" beauty changed careers; her true calling, she decided, was to write novels.

Ylenia Maria Sole Carrisi (born November 29, 1970) was the eldest daughter of Romina Power and Albano Carrisi. She disappeared under mysterious circumstances while visiting New Orleans, Louisiana on January 6, 1994. at the age of 23.

In 1983, she appeared alongside her parents in the Italian film Champagne in paradiso. Later on, she was the letter-turner on La Ruota Della Fortuna, the Italian version of Wheel of Fortune. She envisaged for herself a career as a novelist, studying literature at King's College London, where she received the highest marks in her year.

Ylenia with her parents, Albano & Romina

During her studies, she began to entertain the idea of traveling the world solo with nothing but a backpack and her journal. She decided to take a break from studying and returned to Italy where she sold all her belongings in order to pay for the voyage. For her first book, she planned a gritty account of the life of down-and-out street musicians in New Orleans, a city she visited briefly the summer before. She began her research by flying to the New Orleans and checking into a $23-a-night room in Le' Dale, a hotel frequented by transients located five blocks from the French Quarter. A week later she left the hotel around 11 a.m. and never returned.

Ylenia holding her younger sister

Ylenia was last seen in the French Quarter area sometime during the month. Police efforts to find her did not yield any result. At the time of her disappearance, Ylenia was staying in the LeDale Hotel and was seen with street musician Alexander Masakela, twenty years her senior. Masakela was arrested on January 31 but eventually released for lack of evidence to connect him to Ylenia's disappearance.

While Carrisi's parents remain convinced that he somehow put their daughter "under a spell," there may be another explanation for Ylenia's disappearance. Near midnight on Jan. 6, the day Carrisi was last seen leaving Le' Dale dressed in a long flower-print dress and waist-length jacket, a young blond woman in similar clothing was spotted at a park by the Mississippi River. Albert Cordova, a security guard, noticed the woman sitting on a wharf, staring out at the river, and asked her to move along because the park was closed. "Well," he recalls the woman saying, "I belong in the water anyway." With that, she stood up and dove headfirst into the river—jacket, dress and all.

Cordova frantically pleaded with her to return to the wharf, but she swam casually away from the shore. "It was clear she was a very strong swimmer," says Cordova. "This wasn't a suicide. I thought, 'Oh, she's just playing with us.' " Cordova and a security guard from a nearby riverboat stood helplessly as the woman gradually swam toward the Mississippi's main channel, with its swift current and treacherous undertow. Finally, a tanker came barreling down the river, and the woman panicked. "All of a sudden she started screaming for help," Cordova says. "Then she went down once, twice, and after the third time she didn't come up again."

A Coast Guard search turned up no sign of the woman's body, which may have been washed out to sea. Given the timing of the incident and Cordova's description of the woman's clothing, police suspect she may have been Carrisi. However, the riverboat security guard didn't gel a good look at the woman, and Cordova has his doubts. "Based on the photographs the police showed me, I'd say it wasn't her," he says. "But it could have been. I don't know for sure. It was dark."

Carrisi's parents refuse to believe the swimmer was their daughter. They point to a reported sighting of Carrisi a day later by a Croatian fisherman who was visiting New Orleans. The man was shocked when he made an offhand remark in Croatian about a woman's good looks and she thanked him in Italian. "He bumped into the girl in the street and turned around and looked at her really close," says Power. "When he saw photographs of Ylenia in the paper, he identified her as the same girl."

Romina Power still holds on to faith for her daughter

A week after Carrisi's disappearance, Alexander Masakela was evicted from where he was stayig after trying to pay the bill with unendorsed traveler's checks. Unclaimed at her hotel room was Carrisi's backpack, filled with clothing and personal effects.

In late January police found Masakela on the street and pulled him in for questioning. In a face-to-face meeting with Carrisi's father arranged by the police, Masakela denied knowing anything of Carrisi's whereabouts. Later, Masakela told reporters, "All of a sudden, I'm the Simon Legree in all this, and it's not justified." A few days later Masakela was arrested—but not because of Ylenia Carrisi. A former girlfriend accused him of rape. Details of the incident have never been released, and the charges were dismissed. Since then, Masakela has dropped out of sight.

While her mother believes she's still alive. In November 2006, Albano stated for the first time that he believed the security guard's story.

Though police have not uncovered any hard evidence that Carrisi met with foul play, her parents, who flew to New Orleans after she was reported missing, fear she might have become entangled in a dangerous real-life drama. "I've heard a lot of strange stories in New Orleans about white slave trade and girls being abducted for black-magic rites," says Romina Power, "I believe she is being held somewhere against her will."

What Ylenia Carrisi might look like today